Monday, July 04, 2005

Rest In Peace, Mr.Vandross.

I was speechless when I heard the news on Friday night.

Everybody knew he was sick, he had heart trouble, diabetes, a stroke. But that was years ago, and everyone was saying that he was on the mend. That he was coming back to us. When I finally saw him singing a little bit again on the Grammys last year, I really started to believe that he could have thirty years left in him. But I was wrong. Luther is gone.

I can't say that I was always a fan. In fact when I was little, I was the complete opposite of a fan. But blame it on my innocence, I guess. I mean I was 4 or 5 years old, and the last thing I wanted to hear was Luther singing about love and romance, which to me were just icky/sappy grown-up things. The last thing I wanted to see was my mama headed toward the record player with a Luther album in her hand, because I knew it was gonna be an all-day, dance around the living room and sing into a broom handle Luther-fest, and my little self hated it.

Of course, as I got older my mind changed about him. I started listening to his voice, and the words he was singing, instead of just sticking my fingers in my ears and singing "la-la-la-la" to drown him out. I started appreciating his voice, one of the most rich, clear, resonant voices the world has ever known. And I started appreciating his style. Everybody laughs when somebody tries to imitate Luther and they do the creep -- the world-famous, spine-tingling way that Luther could work several tones and vibrations into one note -- but we laugh because we know nobody can do it like him. He was inimitable. Yeah, it's cliche, but there will really never be another.

I'm not gonna use the lame line about half the population owing their lives and existence to Luther's music. A lot of people say that, and yeah, maybe it's true, but there's so much more to his music than bedroom grooves. He was an artist, a writer, a musician. Not just some old lounge singer that got people in the mood. If you know his music, you know what I mean.

Lush is the right word for his voice, and sumptuous is the way to describe the melodies he used to display that beautiful instrument. I defy anyone to listen to "Here And Now" and not be in awe of his talent. Just listen.

And while you're at it, check out my favorite Luther song of all time, also his first single and his first hit too. Never Too Much. He wrote that. All. Those gutar riffs. That sooo smooth bridge, "oh my loooove. . ." All of that. Every time I hear this song I get extremely happy. I'm smiling right now because I'm listening to it while I'm typing this. That first pluck of the strings at the opening is one of the quickest ways to brighten my day. That's just one small part of the legacy Luther Vandross is leaving, and the impact his music has made on my life. At least that will last forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Luther Song Today.

"Never Too Much"

I can't fool myself, I don't want nobody else to ever love me .
You are my shinin' star, my guiding light, my love fantasy.
There's not a minute, hour, day or night that I don't love you.
You're at the top of my list 'cause I'm always thinkin' of you.

I still remember in the days when I scared to touch you.
How I spent my day dreamin' plannin' how to say I love you.
You must have known that I had feelings deep enough to swim in;
That's when you opened up your heart and you told me to come in .

Oh, my love
A thousand kisses from you is never too much;
I just don't wanna stop.

Oh, my love
A million days in your arms is never too much .
I just don't wanna stop,

Too much, never too much, never too much, never too much.

Woke up today, looked at your picture just to get me started
I called you up, but you weren't there and I was broken hearted .
Hung up the phone, can't be too late, the boss is so demanding
Opened the door up and to my surprise there you were standing.

Well, who needs to go to work to hustle for another dollar
I'd rather be with you 'cause you make my heart scream and holler.
Love is a gamble and I'm so glad that I'm winning,
We've come a long way and yet this is only the beginning.

Oh, my love. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home