Friday, March 03, 2006

stmmfsbasp, part 7

Annnnd we're at the end. You might know what this last song is. Oh, sure you do!

*

You really don't know? Well go back and reread all the other posts in the "So Black And So Proud" series. And you might also consider the title of the series.

Still no clue? Ah, well, I'll give it up:

Say It Loud (I'm Black And I'm Proud), by James Brown
(All ready for you right here.)

Once again, we have the title telling all. I actually wish there was more I could say about the power of this song, but it truly does speak for itself. From that very first lick of the ever-present snare drum, spinning of into a contempo kinetic riff that smoothly ushers in those beautifully brash trumpets, you just know exactly where the song's going. So you've already been indoctrinated by the time JB comes in with those first words, "Say it loud!" and that revolutionary teenybopper chorus answers so confidently, "I'm Black and I'm proud!"

His commanding, encouraging delivery lends a forceful persuasiveness to the tone of the lyrics, and adds more of a revolutionary spirit to the whole that defies the "too cool to fight" aesthetic in some other music of the period. I myself am enraptured with spoken-word, jam-session, Gil Scott-Heron feel of this song, and the strutting mood of both the words and music never fail to get me up "with my bad self," saying "it" so loudly that my neighbors have to come by and ask me to hush. But I think now it's time to stop rambling and let the song tell you what's going on. Happy Black History Month! (Yes, I know it's March now, but who cares! Black history is everyone's history, and we can celebrate all year long!)

****P.S. for all y'all who told me I needed to represent some hip hop on the list, sorry! I had to go with what I know. I know there is a lot if inspirational "black and proud" hip hop out there, but none of it moves me like the songs I chose. But hey, you can always make your own list! (hint, hint.)****

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyrics For You Today:
"Say It Loud," of course. The awesome album can be purchased here. Find out why they call him Soul Brother #1.)

Unh! With your bad self!
Say it loud!
(I'm Black and I'm proud!)
Say it loud!
(I'm Black and I'm proud!)

Look here, some say we got a lot of manners,
some say it's a lot of nerve.
But I say we won't quit moving
until we get what we desrve.
We've been buked, and we've been scorned.
We been treated bad, talked about
just as sure as you're born.
Just as sure as it takes two eyes to make a pair,
brother we can't quit until we get our share.

Say it loud!
(I'm Black and I'm proud!)
Say it loud!
(I'm Black and I'm proud!)
One more time: say it loud!
(I'm Black and I'm proud!)

I work long jobs with my feet and my hands,
Do all the work I did, but for the other man.
Now we demand a chance to do things for ourselves.
We tired of beating our heads against the wall,
and working for someone else.

Say it loud!
(I'm Black and I'm proud!)
Say it loud!
(I'm Black and I'm proud!)

Now we demand a chance to do things for ourselves.
We're tired of beating our heads against the wall,
and working for someone else.
We're people, we're just like the birds and the bees.
We'd rather die on our feet than be living on our knees.

Say it loud!
(I'm black and I'm proud!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home