Tuesday, February 28, 2006

stmmfsbasp, part vier

4 days in a row. I'm positive that's a personal best.

Still with me on this? Good for you! I've got a treat in store for today:

Brotha, by Angie Stone.
(Get it how you live, right here.)

There's nothing like a good old affirmation. The world is full of struggles -- racism, injustice, and depression, and some have argued that those struggles are much harder for Black men than they are for Black women. I don't agree with that point of view (in fact I have serious disagreements with that point of view), but this isn't the time to consider all that. The fact remains that Black men do have a hard time in the U.S. If they're not getting stereotyped as violent, lascivious thugs on the streets, delinquent hardheads in the classroom, and lazy absent fathers in general, then they're given a hard rap as corporate sell-outs and wannabe flunkies. That's harsh language, isn't it? Abominable language, in fact. Yet, it's no more than what I hear in the streets and in classrooms on a regular basis, from people of all races.

Good Black men don't get enough love. Angie Stone realized that when she decided to write this song. It's a lovely song, and nothing too deep about it. The lyrics might be simple, but that doesn't mean they aren't powerful. This song moves me just by saying things I already know, but that I don't get to hear often enough. Affirmation. A good reality-check to fly in the face of all that negativity that pours in from news reports, media outlets, statistics bureaus, and institutional reports. Take a listen to the song, and celebrate all the good brothas you know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lyrics For You Today:
"Brotha" of course. You can buy the album here.

He is my King, He is my one
Yes he's my father, Yes he's my son.
I can talk to him, cuz he understands
Everything I go through and everything I am.
My support system, I can't live without him.
The best thing since sliced bread
Is his kiss, his hugs, his lips, his touch,
and I just want the whole world to know, about my

Black Brotha, I love ya, I will never try to hurt you.
I want ya, to know that, I'm here for you for forever true,
Cause you're my Black Brotha, strong brotha, there is no one above ya.
I want ya to know that I'm here for you for forever true.

He's misunderstood, some say that he's
up to no good around the neighborhood.
But for your information: a lot of my brothers got education.
Now check it. You got your Wall Street brotha, your blue collar brotha,
your down for whatever chillin on the corner brotha.
Your talented brotha, and to everyone of y'all behind bars,
you know that Angie loves ya.

You mean so much to me, you give me what I need.
I'm so proud of you.
I love you for staying strong, you got it going on.
I'm so proud of you.
Going through thick and thin, brothas you gonna win.
I'm so proud of you.
Whenever you're facing doubt, brothas gon work it out.
I'm so proud, I got unshakable faith in you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home